Sunday, July 25, 2010

20 Beautiful Game Locations.

The problem with trying to get away from it all is that wherever you go, you're still stuck on Earth! Supposing you could go to a fantasy world outside the known universe? I'm proposing that there are far more than twenty locations you could be zipped away to, but I'm only listing my favorites here.

Here are my personal top twenty most beautiful game locations.

20- The world of Dragon Quest VIII.

It's huge, dangerous, and beautiful. It's also one of the biggest game worlds I've ever encountered.




19- The world of Okami.

A painting come to life!




18- The world of Shadow of the Colossus.

One of the most solemn places in video game history. Minus the giants, of course.




17- The world of Chrono Trigger.

Not only do you get a world to explore, you get multiple time periods in which to explore!




16- The world of Braid.

Manipulating time to learn from your mistakes in a virtual piece of art. Wonderful!




15- The world (universe?!) of Mass Effect.

The single most believable science fiction ever set in an amazing universe full of life, love, and danger.




14- The universe of Super Mario Galaxy.

I think the videos speak for themselves.






13- Hyrule from The Legend of Zelda series.

Or, more specifically, Hyrule from Twilight Princess.




12- Rapture from the Bioshock series.

If I ever wanted to go insane and murderous surrounded by equally bonkers individuals, Rapture is the best locale for it.




11- The brains of Psychonauts.

No man is an island. They're a cosmos of craziness! One of the most underrated games EVER!




10- The world of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

This game defines true Medieval romanticism for me. I don't know who did this video, but it's great.




9- The Russia of Metal Gear Solid 3

Dude. It's the jungle during the Cold War and it's full of life and death.




8- The Worlds of the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Isolation and puzzles do not detract from a beautiful view of alien worlds.




7- The, uh, thingies of Little Big Planet.

I want a Sackboy or girl.




6- Gaia from Final Fantasy VII.

This world mirrors our own in so many ways. And the lives and struggles of the people all over the world illuminate the locations you visit. Also, I know this is from Advent Children, but this is how the game looked in my mind.




5- Earth from the Katamari series.

So...Earth is junk?




4- Ivalice from Final Fantasy XII.

Based on Turkish design, Ivalice is one of the most believable worlds in that the necessities for life to be recognizable as such stand out in this game more than almost any other I've played.




3- The Capital Wasteland from Fallout 3.

It's the opposite of beautiful. But it's done so well. And, by the way, just keep heading North. Tell the talking tree I said HI!




2- The world of Chrono Cross.

The water-ladened world of Chrono Cross blends perfectly with the music of this game. The audio and video combination of beauty make this world painfully hard to say goodbye to it.




1- The ruined world of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

I've never felt the weight of reality in a game so much as I have with this game. You treasure each location and each speck of scenery the entire time you're playing this. I dream about this world fondly.

No comments:

Post a Comment